Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Taco Tuesday

Tonight, I ventured to Rubio's (the location on 4th South in SLC) for dinner. I was with a friend who (self-professedly) could eat tacos for every meal, and I had never been to Rubio's before. Cheap fresh mex? Definitely. But I'm not here to profess the intricate delicacies of fish tacos. I'm hear to sing the praises to half-price fish tacos on Tuesdays. We discovered this deal as the girl was ringing us up, and it made our dinner experience all the better.

Our night was actually kind of hilarious. The guy who was calling out orders was on drugs. We were laughing because every time he said someone's name, it was like the sun was shining on their order, and he was the angel singing its praises. Someone working at a cheap taco store really can't be that happy about their job, can they? But he was. I guess you've really got to appreciate someone who is that committed to being happy with whatever they do.

My order was a couple tacos and some rice. When Mr. Happy called my name, he walked over to our table carrying a tray with two plates of tacos and rice. They had duplicated my order, so they just gave us the extra food. So, in actuality, I got 4 tacos for the price of one.

The fish tacos are fine. They've got an array of salsa to use on your food, adding spice however you like. I was a fan of the plain salsa they've got, but the salsa verde was mild and flavorful as well. The rice left something to be desired, but the sub-par quality was to be expected with the venue.

One thing I liked about the fish tacos, though, was that they stayed together as I ate them. I got the ones on the flour tortillas (maybe next time I'll try the soft corn tortillas--their many virtues were extolled tonight), so that may have aided the situation, but take it from a chronically messy eater: these tacos fit the not-so-spilly bill.

Ultimately, here are my ratings:

Service: 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. The only reason I knocked off half a star is because I ordered chips that they never brought me. I mostly forgive this because of the free lunch (the extra plate of food) I will enjoy tomorrow.

Food taste: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. Come on, it's cheap fresh mex. Nothing special or fancy, but I'd definitely go there again (as opposed to someplace like Betos).

Presentation: 2 out of 5 stars. Again, not a classy place, so fabulous presentation isn't to be expected.

Value: 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. But only on Tuesdays. I don't think I'd go there and pay $2.50 for a taco any other day, but like I said, I feel good about the value I got tonight.

So...go there if you haven't. Try it. If you see a guy who is seemingly unbelievably psyched about life, just go with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment